mortgage assistance Support

Applying for Mortgage Assistance

We love our customers and their homes. We also know that sometimes life can throw us a curve ball. That's why we're here for you and have made applying for mortgage assistance a straightforward process. We'll have to get necessary documentation in order to give you the relief you need.

Please note: If you're currently engaged in active bankruptcy, you should always consult with your attorney before starting a mortgage assistance application.

Start the online application process


If you don't have an online account with Mr. Cooper, click here to find the appropriate form to manually fill it out. If you have further questions, you may contact customer service at 888-480-2432.


There's one very, very, very, (did we mention very?) important thing to keep in mind when applying for mortgage assistance: Time is of the essence, especially if you're already getting collection notices or are in any phase of the foreclosure process.

If you're already in the foreclosure process, it's even more important to get your application and documents in ASAP, before the specified deadline. If you approach it with a sense of urgency now, you'll be glad you did later. And remember that we'll always be glad to help you fill it out and locate your documents.

If we're harping on this point, it's only because we hate to see a good homeowner get dragged into a foreclosure only because they waited too long to complete their mortgage assistance application.

Contact us with any questions.


Once we receive your initial application, loan processors review the content of the application and all submitted documentation to ensure that all necessary initial information has been submitted.

Next, we will send a letter to you to verify that the application is either ready for underwriting or to request additional information or documents.

In some cases when we have sufficient information on file, a customer may be eligible to submit an expedited application or not have to submit an application at all.

Each time we need to communicate with you, we send a letter to the mailing address. You can also see notices and communications on your Mr. Cooper online account.

Once all of the initial information has been submitted, underwriters review the current state of your account and all documents in an effort to determine your eligibility for assistance.

Note that if additional information or documents are needed during underwriting, you will be given a due date to submit them to us.

If they’re submitted on time, then we will respond within 30 days from the date that we receive these additional or updated documents.


To find your best assistance option, we'll need some documentation of your situation.

Your document requirements will be unique to you. The mortgage assistance application will give you a sense of which documents your situation requires as you fill it out.

But there may be others not listed. After we get your application, we'll follow up to confirm the full list of what we need.

We're always here to help you find the necessary documents. Contact us if you need a hand.

Just remember that time is of the essence when it comes to document submissions. You don't want to submit a few of the required documents, then wait a long time before submitting the rest.

If you do, your earlier submissions could expire and no longer be valid by the time you get them all in. And then your application won't be complete, which could put your home in jeopardy.

Here are some of the most common documents required for a mortgage assistance application:

General / background documents:

  • IRS Form 4506-C - Authorizes us to request a copy of your federal tax returns from the IRS. Download.

  • Hardship Affidavit Form - Where you state the nature of your financial difficulties and any other reasons for requesting mortgage assistance. Download.

  • Dodd-Frank Form - Certifies you have not been convicted of any crimes associated with a mortgage or real estate transaction within the past ten years. Download.

Proof of income documents

If you receive hourly or salary wages:

Minimum two pay stubs covering at least thirty consecutive days, dated within the last ninety days. These should display your name, your employer's name, the pay period, and your year-to-date earnings and deductions. If your official pay stubs are missing this information, please attach a letter of explanation.

If you are a contract employee or self-employed:

  • Either your year-to-date earnings or a Profit and Loss statement for the most recent quarter. These need to include your business name, earnings period, and itemized business expenses (e.g. Wi-Fi, phone, office space, business travel.)

  • Please also include a copy of your most recent federal tax return with all schedules signed and dated.

  • If you pay wages to employees or yourself, please include a thorough statement of wages paid.

  • If the income you're documenting is associated with a corporation or partnership, we'll also need the schedule K1 from the business tax return.

If you receive income from rental properties:

  • Copies of all rental lease agreements, signed and dated. These should include the property address, rental amount, borrower and tenant signatures and start/end dates of the lease. If your lease documents are missing any of this information, please attach a letter of explanation.

  • Documentation of principal, interest, property taxes, and insurance for each rental property.

  • A copy of your most recent personal federal tax return, with all schedules signed and dated.

If you receive benefit income such as social security, pension or retirement income, or annuity income:

  • A copy of your current award letter(s) or other proof of expected monthly benefit income.

  • Two months' proof of receipt of your benefit income, dated in the last 90 days. These may include bank statements, transaction histories, or copies of checks.

  • If there are any discrepancies between your expected and actual benefit income as documented above, please include a letter of explanation.

If you receive child support or alimony and want this income to be considered in your application:

  • Court-recorded documentation of your expected child support and/or alimony income.

  • Two months' proof of receipt of this income, dated in the last 90 days. These may include bank statements, transaction histories, or copies of checks.

  • If there are any discrepancies between your expected and actual child support and/or alimony income as documented above, please include a letter of explanation.

If you receive income from a source not listed above:

  • A detailed letter describing the income source, amount, and frequency.

  • Two months' proof of receipt of the income, dated within the last 90 days.

If the property has occupying non-borrowers, we'll need some documents from them, too.

Occupying non-borrowers are people who live in the property and contribute towards the mortgage, but are not on the loan. Typical examples are roommates or people renting a room in the house that isn't a separate apartment unit.

If you have occupying non-borrowers, they'll need to submit:

  • A completed UBAF form.

  • Proof of their income plus appropriate documentation as listed above.

  • If the occupying non-borrower's contribution to the mortgage is less than 100% of their income, they'll need to provide a contribution statement. (This is just a signed letter stating that they live in the home and confirming the amount they contribute to the mortgage each month.)

Sending us your documents

You can scan your documents and email them to

You can also fax them to 214-488-1993.

If you prefer mail, you can send copies of your documents to

Mr. Cooper
Attn: Loan Modification Processing Unit
PO Box 619097
Dallas, TX 75261

However you send your documents, please be sure to include a note including your name, loan number, property address, and best current contact information.

Beware of Fraud

Unfortunately, there are bad people out there who take advantage of homeowners seeking help with their mortgage. We want to be sure you don’t fall for any scams.

If you receive a phone call, letter or email regarding your mortgage which appears to be suspicious, especially those that require payments or changes to your mortgage terms; then please call us right away at 888-480-2432.  We’ll check our records and let you know if it’s legitimate or not.

Here are a few common “red flags” that indicate a communication is likely a scam:

  • Contact phone numbers that do not begin with a toll-free area code like 800 or 866. We never provide personal or cell phone contact numbers in official communications related to homeowner assistance.
  • A trial or modification agreement from the “Underwriting Department.” Our underwriting department never sends notifications directly to customers.
  • Requests to make payments with “unconventional” methods. These may include a prepaid/”Green Dot” debit card, or a Western Union/Moneygram wire to an individual (rather than Mr. Cooper). You can always review our official payment method options. If a requested method doesn’t exactly match one on the list, please call us immediately.
  • Requests for up-front or advance payment to begin the modification, refinancing, or reinstatement application process. We never charge fees for applying or approving loan modifications.
  • Advice to start making payments to any third party instead of us for any reason.
  • Pressure to make any commitments you don’t fully understand. Be especially careful if you’re pressured to sign over your deed or sign any paperwork you haven’t had a chance to fully review and ask questions about.
  • The phrases “government approved” or “official government” in descriptions of loan modification offers.
  • Finally, if you have been making payments and have been led to believe they are going towards a trial or modification agreement, but we have no record of the payments, then something may be wrong. Please call us as soon as possible so we can research the issue.

Note: The form/s on this page require Adobe Reader software to view and print. You can get the software for free hereGet Adobe Reader.