Estimated reading time: 2 minutes
I know how scary it is to start a new job. As nervous as I was on the first day of my internship, I soon realized that I had been given an enormous opportunity and I knew that I had to stand out if I wanted to be remembered.
Mr. Cooper Group provides interns with ongoing career development opportunities. From self-development resources to a weekly series with executives sharing career advice and extracurricular activities such as book clubs and resource groups. It can be amazing and overwhelming at the same time.
Here are my tips to make the most of your internship experience.
1. Don’t be afraid to ask questions: If you want to be memorable, you need to take the initiative to participate. It’s okay to be the first to speak up and ask questions. That shows your interest to learn more—after all, that’s why we’re all here, right?
2. Make connections: Identify people you want to get to know. It’s important to always check with your manager first, but once you get approval, reach out to those you want to connect with. Set up time to learn about their career path, what motivates them. Show them your interest in learning from them.
3. Ask for help: No one expects you to know everything. It’s okay (and expected) to ask for a helping hand. This is how you learn and grow.
4. Attend events/calls: When you learn about events/calls that interest you, ask if you can attend. If they offer training, make sure you show that you are paying attention. If they have volunteer events, get your hands dirty. Soak up as much as you can!
5. Get social on LinkedIn: Take the opportunity to build your personal brand on LinkedIn by sharing posts regularly, building your network, and engaging with people’s content.
Getting out of your comfort zone will open new opportunities. Make sure to take full advantage of this tremendous internship for self-growth and networking.