HomePosts6 Housing & Relocation Assistance Programs
Aerial view of houses

6 Housing & Relocation Assistance Programs

Estimated reading time: 3 minutes

If you are struggling with your finances, a variety of programs may be available to help you recover. Whether you need assistance paying your bills or relocating, agencies and nonprofits are standing by. A summary of key programs and resources are provided below.

1. 211

211 is a collection of over 200 charities and agencies. It connects people with local services for a range of needs, including:

  • Affordable housing and emergency housing.
  • Free help with moving or grants.
  • Mortgage payment assistance.
  • Bill-paying assistance.

Dial 2-1-1 or visit 211.org for more information. Religious organizations and nonprofits in your area that aren’t affiliated with 211 may offer additional support.

2. Benefits.gov & USA.gov

Benefits.gov and USA.gov each provide a searchable database of resources. Enter the service you need from moving grants to help paying bills. To target assistance in your area, add your state’s name to your search.

3. Homeowner Assistance Fund

The Homeowner Assistance Fund (HAF) is a federal program that was created to assist homeowners impacted by the pandemic. Funds are to be distributed by state and many programs are in development. To connect with the agency responsible for HAF funds in your area, select your state on this interactive map provided by the National Council of State Housing Agencies. If no options are currently available, monitor for updates and contact your local housing authority about alternatives.

4. HUD housing counselors

HUD-approved housing counselors can help you protect your home or identify housing programs. To locate a local office, call 800-569-4287 or select options in your state on HUD’s Office of Housing Counseling page. See our article on how housing counselors can assist you for more information.

5. HUD rental assistance

The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) offers resources that may help you find affordable housing and pay rent. Visit HUD’s rental assistance page for more information.

6. State Trade Adjustment Assistance (TAA) Programs

If you need to relocate after a job loss or “are threatened with job loss” due to changes in international trade, you may be eligible for benefits through the Trade Adjustment Assistance (TAA) Program. This federal program provides relocation assistance to assist with taking a new job. Links to state programs are available at the Department of Labor’s site. Learn more about eligibility requirements and benefits on the TAA Program’s FAQs page. Benefits are currently open to manufacturing sector workers.

Tradenames and trademarks used in this blog post are the property of their respective owners. Nationstar Mortgage LLC d/b/a Mr. Cooper is not affiliated, associated, or sponsored by any of these owners. Use of these names and trademarks is not intended to and does not imply endorsement but is for identification purposes only. Information provided does not necessarily represent the views of Mr. Cooper. Information is subject to change without notice.