HomePostsSteps Customers Should Take for Insurance Claims

Steps Customers Should Take for Insurance Claims

Need to file an insurance claim for damage to your home? Follow these steps to get started.

1. Contact your homeowner’s insurance provider. Report the damage, determine your coverage and file a claim. If you have flood damage and have flood insurance, you’ll need to call that insurance provider too. You can visit the FEMA website for help on How to Fill Out Your Flood Claim.

2. Register for Disaster Assistance – Especially If You Don’t Have Flood Insurance. Visit www.DisasterAssistance.gov or call the registration phone number at 800-621-FEMA (3362). Coverage may vary in your insurance policies, and there may be resources available to you that are not covered under your insurance.

3. Call Mr. Cooper, your home loan company, at 888-480-2432. Tell us how you have been affected and provide us with an updated address, if you have been temporarily relocated. We may be able to provide you additional assistance while you’re rebuilding your home.

4. If your damage is covered, your insurance provider will assign you an adjuster. The adjuster will come to your home to assess the property damage. While you work directly with your insurance provider, the Mr. Cooper customer service team is here to help answer any questions you have about the loss draft process.

5. If your damage is covered, your insurance company will send a loss draft check (or claim check) to you. This check will typically need to be endorsed by both you and Mr. Cooper, your home loan company.

6. Here is the required documentation needed in order to expedite the processing of your claim with us. For more information on the process, see our Claim Package for more details.

  • Endorsed Insurance Claim Check
  • Insurance Company Adjuster’s Worksheet
  • Signed Contract/Proposal with your contractor
  • Contractor’s Waiver of Lien
  • Contractor’s Internal Revenue W-9
  • Copy of the Contractor’s License

Note: When you get an insurance claim check, please call our Loss Draft Department at 866-825-9302 for assistance.