HomePostsAffected by Wildfires? Mr. Cooper Is Here to Help
Wildfire burning in hills behind a building and commercial truck

Affected by Wildfires? Mr. Cooper Is Here to Help

Estimated reading time: 5 minutes

First, our hearts go out to everyone impacted by the devastating effects of recent wildfires. We know this is an incredibly stressful time and that your situation may be changing by the minute. Rest assured that our customer service team is standing by ready to assist you. We know that your first priority will be to keep yourself and your loved ones safe and our team will do everything we can to help address your home and mortgage needs. As part of this effort, we’ve compiled three steps below you can take to ensure your home and finances are protected:

  • Filing claims with insurance providers for damages related to the wildfire.
  • Applying for mortgage assistance with us.
  • Registering for disaster assistance with state and federal agencies. (This assistance may cover expenses that your insurance company doesn’t.)

Here are a few tips to help you through the process.

Filing an insurance claim

1. Contact your homeowner’s insurance provider. Start the claim process by providing details to each of your insurance carriers of the damage and loss sustained as a result of the wildfire. 

If you are able to do so, please document damage before making any repairs to the property. Throughout the claims process, please save receipts related to any repairs and other costs incurred after the wildfire (for example, living expenses). These efforts will potentially help in discussions with your insurance carrier in resolving the claim.

2. If your loss is covered, your insurance provider will assign an adjuster to your claim. The adjuster will work with you to assess the property damage and come up with an estimate of the repair costs.

3. Once the adjuster’s cost estimate is complete, your insurance company will send a loss draft check (or claim check) to you to pay for repairs. This check will be made payable to both you and Mr. Cooper. Once you receive the check, please contact us for instructions on the handling of the check. Typically, you will need to endorse the check and forward it to us. We will then either endorse the check and return it to you OR deposit the check into a loss draft account and then issue you a new check.

4. Depending upon the loan status at the time of the wildfire or the amount of the loss draft check, we may require additional documentation before releasing the insurance funds. Along with the endorsed insurance claim check, some of the typical documents we may require include:

  • Insurance company adjuster’s worksheet
  • Signed contract/proposal with your contractor
  • Contractor’s waiver of lien
  • Contractor’s W-9
  • Copy of the contractor’s license

While you work directly with your insurance provider, our customer service team is here to help you with every step in the insurance claim process. You can reach our Loss Draft Department at 866-825-9302 for assistance. For more information on the process, see our Claim Package, as well.

Applying for mortgage assistance

1. Call us at 888-480-2432. Tell us how you have been affected and provide us with updated contact information, if you have been temporarily relocated.

2. If your home or income was impacted by the wildfire, we may be able to provide you with additional assistance. 

Depending on your loan, this assistance may include a Disaster Forbearance Plan with benefits, such as:

  • Suspended or reduced mortgage payments for a period of time
  • Credit protections
  • No late fees

Registering for additional disaster assistance

1. Register for federal disaster assistanceespecially if you’re underinsured. To register, visit DisasterAssistance.gov or call FEMA at 800-621-FEMA (3362). (For TTY calls, dial 800-642-7585.) This step is recommended even if your home is not in an official disaster area as undeclared areas can be added at a later date (you can check for updates on declared areas with FEMA’s search tool FEMA’s search tool for declared disasters). With this assistance, you may be eligible for benefits and resources that are not covered by your insurance company.

2. Look into additional options offered by your state or local agencies. Contact agencies such as your:

  • State’s and county’s emergency management offices
  • Department of health and human services
  • Governor’s office

They may provide access to resources other than those provided by the federal government or your insurance company. You can find helpful resources like these at fema.gov/locations by entering your city and state or zip code. Once your state’s page appears, select the “Helpful Resources” option. USA.gov also links to local resources.

3. Reach out to helpful organizations. Non-profits and other organizations may be willing to assist you. Here are some helpful sources that provide more information:

Beware that scammers may try to take advantage of you in your time of need and pose as a non-profit or government official. Home repair scams and price gouging efforts also increase after natural disasters. That said, consider finding a contractor through a recommendation from someone who can vouch for their work, obtain multiple offers, and finalize the agreement in writing. Also, be on guard for contractors who ask for large amounts of money upfront or provide very low bids. For more information, see our blog on finding a contractor and the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau’s tips on preventing fraud

By making the most of every opportunity open to you, we hope you will walk away from this situation safe and sound, with everything you need to protect the investment you’ve made in your home. Whenever you need us, we will be here to help you.

Tradenames and trademarks used in this blog post are the property of their respective owners. Nationstar Mortgage LLC d/b/a Mr. Cooper is not affiliated, associated, or sponsored by any of these owners. Use of these names and trademarks is not intended to and does not imply endorsement, but is for identification purposes only. Information provided does not necessarily represent the views of Mr. Cooper. Information is subject to change without notice.