According to the National Retail Federation, more than 174 million Americans went shopping spending an average of $335.47 each last year over the long weekend after Thanksgiving (from Thanksgiving Day through Cyber Monday). This year isn’t expected to slow down any and if you have plans to hit the stores or just the computer, then you’ll want to know how to find the best deals. Here are some tips from BlackFriday.com and NerdWallet on finding ways to save during Black Friday 2018 sales:
What to Buy on Black Friday
- Apple® Products. Apple products aren’t often heavily discounted, but over Black Friday and Cyber Monday 2018 you might see deals from Apple on Apple Watches, MacBook computers, iPhones, and iPads. Apple has also been known to offer exclusive Education deals that come with a free gift (in the past, it had offered Beats headphones with a computer purchase for students or educators).
- Electronics. Items such as TVs, smartphones, computers, tablets, and gaming consoles are often discounted on Black Friday, so if any of these are on your holiday shopping list, you might want to plan to buy them just after Thanksgiving.
- Home Appliances. Many retailers mark these down on Black Friday, and some also give away gift cards or other small gifts with a purchase. Washers, dryers, refrigerators, and kitchen appliances are common finds in the Black Friday deals flyers.
What to Skip on Black Friday 2018 and Buy Later
- Toys. Toys usually go on sale closer to Christmas, so you might want to hold off unless there’s a special deal on the specific item you’re looking for, or if items are in high demand (since you may not want to risk stores selling out).
- Outdoor Items. You could see grills, patio furniture, or other outdoor accessories for homeowners listed for sale over Black Friday 2018. Historically, though, the best deals on these tend to be Labor Day (just after summer) and during the spring right before the weather gets warmer. If you can wait, you will still likely have a good chance of finding a better price next year on these items.
- Winter Clothes. Usually you’ll find the best deals on winter clothing in October or when the season ends. Some special doorbuster sales may pop up around Black Friday on things like jackets and women’s boots, though. If you’re in need of some warm things to wear for holiday travel, you can still usually find coupons or discounts so you don’t break the bank.
Find More Black Friday and Cyber Monday 2018 Deals
Many retailers – online and brick and mortar – have already started some early Black Friday sales and are announcing what they’ll be marking down. Costco®, Amazon®, and GameStop®, among others, are showcasing electronics, computers, game consoles, and other items to help you plan ahead.
If you have any particular stores where you’re looking to shop, sign up for their email newsletters so that you can get special coupons or promo codes and stay in the know about their offerings.
Another thing to note: Don’t be fooled by deals that may not actually be all that great. Do your research when buying around the holidays, and always try to stick to your budget. Click here to read more articles on money to stay in the know.
Information provided does not necessarily represent the views of Mr. Cooper, and any use of third party names and trademarks does not imply endorsement. Information is subject to change without notice.